This is the story of the actress whose life was filled with success, sex, and controversies, “Bhanu Rekha Ganeshan”, and we call her Rekha.
Personal life of Rekha
- She was born on 10 October 1954 in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
- 70’s sex-symbol Rekha’s childhood was also filled with controversies.
- Her father was the superstar of Tamil Film industry Gemini Ganeshan.
- And her mother was an actress in Telegu films Named Pushpavali.
- It was also heard that when she was born her parents were not married yet.
- And for years, Gemini Ganeshan didn’t accept her.
- After Rekha became a superstar she expressed her anger towards her father in the media.
Rekha got the entry in the film industry rather easily
Her film “Sawan Bhadon” was a hit at the box-office.
But a lot of people in the industry didn’t like her.
She also said in an interview that: “people used to call her The Ugly Duckling of the film industry”.
Because that was the time when she looked dark and chubby.
Like every superstar, she was waiting for the right turn.
- And, that turn came in her life when she worked with Amitabh Bachchan in the film “Do Anjaane”.
- Rekha and Amitabh Bachchan’s pair was a hit and they ruled the box-office.
- Whether it was “Mr. Natwarlal” or “Muqaddar Ka Sikandar” and, who can ever forget the controversial film “Silsila”.
Amitabh Bachchan came as a golden chapter in Rekha’s life which Rekha still cherishes.
When she was asked in an interview whether she loved Amitabh Bachchan, she replied:
- “there’s no one in this world that doesn’t love Amitabh”.
Rekha and Amitabh Bachchan’s so-called affair made the headlines for years.
And even today, in every award function the media’s focus is always on Amitabh and Rekha.
Although, she received the status of a glamour girl in films.
Also Read: Alia Bhatt Hot HD Photos And Biography 2018
A film changed her life forever
And that film was “Ghar”, released in 1978.
She played a rape victim in this film.
And, the music of this film portrayed Rekha’s image differently.
“Ghar” was the film, after which the critics finally accepted her as an actor.
Movie reporters gossiped a lot about her personal life in their filmy magazines.
And, this also troubled her a lot.
But, after doing a film like “Khoobsurat” it quietened those critics as well.
She was climbing new heights of success but, controversies were not leaving her alone.
After her so-called affair with Amitabh Bachchan, she married businessman Mukesh Agarwal.
- And, few years after the marriage Mukesh hanged himself with Rekha’s veil.
Passing through stages of happiness and sorrow she was getting a stronghold in the industry.
And a unique film came into her life, that completely changed her image
That film was Muzaffar Ali’s “Umrao Jaan”.
Where she played the character of a dancer.
- During an interview, she said when she was given the script of “Umrao Jaan” she could see her own image in the character.
After “Umrao Jaan”, everyone wanted to see her in the role of a dancer.
But, she is one of those actresses who perform a different role in every film.
In films like Shyam Benegal’s “Kalyug” and Girish Karnad’s “Utsav,” her characters are unforgettable.
In the 80’s she was also called an action heroine.
Some gave her the title of Lady Amitabh.
Her films like “Phool Bany Angaray” or “Khoon Bhari Maang”, she showed her acting talents as well.
There were rumors about Rekha’s marriage with her close friend Vinod Mehra.
But, years later she clarified in an interview that Vinod Mehra was just a friend, they never got married.
With changing time, where renowned heroines faded away Rekha treaded ahead.
Whether it was “Koi Mil Gaya” or “Krrish” or Shyam Benegal’s “Zubeidaa”.
The Hindi film industry got to see every single aspect of Rekha.
She fought controversies all her life and she made a different image for herself.
Even today, clad in a ‘Kanjivaram Sari’ she looks like an angel.
Pictures source: Instagram.
Thanks for reading.